I had a piece of heaven when I was in Texas the first of November. Heaven came in the form of a muffin. A muffin with sausage, cheddar cheese, herbs and jalapeno peppers. And the world said, Amen.
I’m not a huge muffin fan, so I figured I could make the same thing with a biscuit – which I do love.
Call me a cheater if you want to, but Bisquick is my go-to for biscuits. Saves time so don’t judge, okay?
- Don't Judge, Okay?
- 1 c grated cheddar cheese (2-3 tablespoons reserved for garnish)
- ¼- ½ c finely diced jalapeño peppers. I used pickled (Marzetti brand b/c they’re the best); keep the juice or don’t (even add a tablespoon extra if you want); I think the extra juice adds additional flavor/heat. I chopped mine in a mini-food processor, but you can do it by hand if you wish.
- 2-3 diced jalapeños for garnish
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 2-3 tbsp fresh diced chive/green onion (optional)
- 4 oz spicy ground sausage. I used Jimmy Dean because I think it’s the best.
- Cook the sausage, until no more pink shows. Remove from heat; drain fat.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2 ½ c bisquick mix, with just under 1 c milk, add the grated cheese, and butter and stir until combined. Add sausage and jalapeños, stir until combined. Add parsley and other herbs if desired.
- Place onto a nonstick baking sheet (or ceramic stone), garnish with a little extra cheddar cheese and a jalapeno on top. Place into a 450 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Makes 12.
- Would be amazing with goat cheese instead of cheddar!
Happy Eating and Happy Trails!