I have mentioned before that with all the snow we’ve had, we were going to have a lot of fence to fix. That wasn’t an understatement really. We got started with some of it yesterday. As we were checking for new calves yesterday we did a double-take where we thought they were getting out and sure enough, the fence is down. Water gaps are notorious for washing out because by very nature, water runs through there, snow melts, the ground freezes and thaws-freezes and thaws, and fence posts, well they just have trouble staying put.
The following photos are what we found, and how we fixed it. It’s a temporary fix for now, seeing as how it’s too muddy and wet to really fix it, but since there’s water in the bottom of the creek, we won’t have to worry too much about cows getting down in there and heading South!
I took all of these with my cell phone, so please pardon the quality.
Here is the culprit:
Here’s Parker Creek:
Looking up at the washed out post:
What we did was put in a t-post next to the wood post. The fence was then wired (#9-wire is our friend) to the new t-post.
After we put in the first post, we decided we’d add a post on each side to further hold the wood post in place.
We ran barb-wire from the new t-post to the t-post next to the wood post.
And it got tightened by putting the wire pliers or plammers between each strand of wire and twisting.
Until it dries out this should keep the cows where they belong. When it gets dry we’ll probably do some more work on this gap.