Thursday, December 6th we preg tested our cows. Which meant Wednesday we gathered the herd and corralled them so we could get an early start Thursday. As it was, we ended up finishing our testing with help from the headlights of a pickup. We had to brand about 140 head while they were in the chute, pour everything with a de-wormer, vaccinate, and re-ear-tag all the girls. We went to an RFID tag in one ear, with a colored tag, same number, to match in the other ear. We ordered pre-numbered colored tags, but had to write the numbers on all the RFID tags.
As a result, this is what my kitchen table looked like Wednesday night. It’s not a pretty picture, but it’s real. It’s how life rolls around here sometimes: